Concentrators In Slavic Will Take Half-Hour Orals

Germanic Department to Add Two Tutorials for Credit, Eliminate German R

Sophomore and Junior concentrators in Slavic will take half-hour oral examinations on Russian literature to determine Honors candidacy, Albert B. Lord '34, chairman of the Slavic Department, announced yesterday. The experimental test, following recommendations made last spring by the Committee on Educational Policy, will be given during the second week in May.

The Department of Germanic Languages will offer Junior tutorial for credit for the first time next year also as a result of the CEP action. The Department plans to drop German R from the curriculum in 1959-60.

Two departmental professors will "interview" each Slavic concentrator in the new oral exams. The test will not cover a student's knowledge of the language; this will be ascertained from grades made in regular language courses.

A written examination is not practical, Lord said, since concentrators do not follow a set study program.

German Tutorial

German 98, covering literature, and German Philology 98, offered in cooperation with the Linguistics Department, will be offered for junior Honors candidates. Henry C. Hatfield '33, chairman of the German Department, expects CEP approval of both the tutorial and German R changes.

German R will be dropped to "streamline the operation of the Department," Hatfield stated. He said that students with some high school German, but not enough to pass the language requirement, will join either a beginning or a second-year course next year.