Debaters Argue Action on China

Admission of Red China to the U.N. might eventually lead to a rift between China and Russia, Edwin O. Reischauer, professor of Far Eastern Languages, asserted last night in a World Federalist debate on America's China policy.

Reischauer contended that American pressure on Red China "drives her into the arms of the Soviets." Claiming that Chinese interests often conflict with those of the Soviets, he argued that these conflicts would be brought into the open if China had a seat in the U.N.

Opposed to recognizing Red China or admitting her to the U.N., William Henry Chamberlin, correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, insisted that such actions would violate principles of the U.N.Charter. He admitted the possibility of a rift between China and Russia, but claimed that only a "firm policy" would help create such a rift.

Chamberlain further asserted that recognition of Red China would "pull the rug out from under" Nationalist China and other American allies in the Far East, especially since the U.S. has had a set policy for so long.

In retort, Reischauer said that "the balloon which we would deflate in our allies' minds is one that we have blown up with our own hot air." Claiming that our policy with regard to China is "arrant nonsense and complete unrealism," he suggested that a slow change in American policy would give our allies time to adjust.