Work on Health Center May Begin Within Year

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Construction of the new Harvard-Radcliffe Health Center--ten floors for modern medical facilities and University offices--may start within a year. Edward Reynolds '15, Administrative vice-President, stated that work on the multimillion dollar structure would not begin until next spring at the earliest.

Although the University is not firmly committed to starting construction, a recent decision to prepare working drawings makes the project virtually certain. The Program for Harvard College, which will provide funds for construction, has reportedly received enough money for the first part of the Center.

The H-shaped building will be constructed in three sections over a four-year period. Covering the area between Dunster and Holyoke Streets bounded by Mt. Auburn and Massachusetts Avenue, the entire structure will cost over $10 million.

Initial Part for Medical

Medical facilities will be contained in the first part of the building to be constructed. Plans drawn by Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Graduate School of Design, provide for the initial stages of construction covering the parking lot adjacent to the Hygiene Building and extending to Dunster St. This phase will cost an estimated $3-3.5 million.

In the second phase of construction, the buildings housing the University Health Services, the Employee Clinic, and Alumni Records will be torn down. Holyoke House, Little Hall, and Dudley House will be removed before starting the third part of construction.

Stillman Infirmary, constructed in 1902, will probably be converted into offices. The fifth floor of the new Health Center will include 115 beds for College students, a substantial increase from the number available at Stillman.

Dr. Dana L. Farnsworth, director of the University Health Services, praised the decision to start working drawings. "We have been waiting 24 years to obtain adequate facilities for the University."