Presidents of Final Clubs To Advise Charities Drive

By Thomas M. Pepper

The presidents of the ten Final Clubs will serve on an advisory Board of Patrons to the Combined Charities Drive next year. Howard J. Phillips '62, co-chairman of the Drive, said yesterday that the move is planned in an attempt to increase undergraduate interest in the Drive and also to increase its overall prestige.

The Club presidents will be members of this Board as private individuals, but Drive authorities hope that active participation by the presidents will increase interest in the Drive among Club members. For the same reasons, Phillips stated, the heads of other undergraduate activities will serve as unofficial sponsors of the Drive, although they will have no actual part in conducting the drive.

Phillips stated that there is a great need "to reach the student body in as many ways as possible" to increase contributions to the Drive. The Drive plans to intensify the House campaign as well as these new outlets, Phillips added.

The basic structure of the Drive, however, will remain unchanged. An advisory Board composed of various student leaders and the co-chairmen will co-ordinate the venture, while the Student Council will retain final authority.

The proposed Board of Patrons and the sponsors will simply increase the channels of communication to the student body, according to Phillips.

He also claimed that the Drive will attempt next year to formalize its structure so that incoming freshmen can quickly become connected with it and later work their way up in the organization. Phillips is also introducing several other innovations, such as a kickoff dinner and more contact with the Masters to try to attain next year's goal of $14,000.