Baseball Team Beats M.I.T., 3-0, For Fourth Consecutive Victory

Johnson Stars on Mound

The varsity baseball team produced its second consecutive shutout victory yesterday afternoon, turning back M.I.T., 3 to 0, at Soldiers Field. The Crimson has defeated its last four opponents (Boston College, Columbia, and Princeton, besides Tech), a situation which bodes well for the important games which lie ahead.

Facing a good pitcher who restricted them to two hits and no runs last year, the varsity was not able to muster a rousing offense in yesterday's game. But so strong was the pitching of Byron Johnson that a very limited Crimson attack (four singles in all) was sufficient for victory.

Johnson spaced five Tech hits and permitted only three baserunners to advance past first. He walked one and struck out three.

The Crimson squeezed out two runs from one hit and one base on balls, to break a scoreless tie in the fourth inning. Al Martin drew the walk as leadoff batter and was sacrificed to second by John Davis. Chet Boulris laced a single to center, advancing Martin to third. Boulris then stole second and a moment later followed Martin across the plate when Charlie Ravenel grounded out.

In the fifth, the Crimson got Johnson an insurance run. Bob Forbush walked and, like Boulris the inning before, managed to steal second. After Mouse Kasarjian flied out harmlessly Forbush was able to take third as Johnson rolled to the first baseman. George Harrington then brought the runner home with a timely single to right.

Boulris, although he is still a very crude sort of fielder, has now developed into the most consistent hitter on the Crimson squad.