Radcliffe Renews House Lease; $2 Million Motel Plans Dropped

Residence Requirements Increase

Plans for construction of a $2 million motel, which would replace the Radcliffe off-campus house now at 1653 Massachusetts Avenue, have been postponed indefinitely. According to George Economy, owner of the property, the previously announced plans were "just a false alarm."

Radcliffe had leased the building on a three-year option expiring in June 1960. The Annex recently renewed its lease in order to place students in residence for the Fall. Twenty-two Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors will live in the offcampus house.

Renewal Delayed

'Cliffe officials delayed renewing the lease until they were certain that the space would be needed. Mrs. Imogene Fish, associated dean of residence, said recently that Radcliffe will have a larger number of students in residence next year than had previously been anticipated. Eighty early admittance candidates have already received places in the Class of 1963.

Stewart Stearns, Radcliffe business manager, commented that the college would like to drop all its Massachusetts Avenue leases, if better residences were available. Four Avenue sites are used by the 'Cliffe, including the one at number 1653.

Another official at the college indicated that the most desirable site for offcampus houses is near the Quad, where the other ten houses are situated.