Tennis Team to Face Dartmouth, Trounces Stubborn Williams, 8-1

By Peter J. Rothenberg

This is the year of Dartmouth's big drive for Ivy Athletic supremacy. The Indians have already wrapped up football, basketball and hockey, and this after noon at 3 p.m. they send their strongest tennis team in years against the varsity on the Soldiers Field courts. The Crimson, however, after an impressive 8-1 victory over Williams yesterday, figures to be ready and more than equal to the challenge.

The Big Green, like several of the varsity's recent opponents, has already played Yale and lost, 8 to 1. Dartmouth won only the second doubles match, and took only two sets in losing the other eight matches. Williams, in fact, put on a better show against Yale Monday, losing by 7-2. But the Indians have at least one fine player in Dick Hoehn and they should be tough to beat.

Hoehn will be facing Crimson captain Ned Weld, who made a magnificent comeback yesterday to beat Williams' Bruce Brian. Down 0-4 in the deciding set, Weld won six straight games for the match. Although Hoehn is the favorite today, Weld has been playing so well that he cannot be counted out.

At second singles, Bob Bowditch, who beat Williams' Clyde Buck in straight sets yesterday, will meet the Indians' Bill McClung. In the remaining singles spots, the varsity sends Tim Gallwey, Fred Vinton, Jorge Lemann and Bill Wood against Ron Picket (who carried Yale captain Jon Clark to three sets), Jack McDonough, Phil Langley and Jack Herrick.

In yesterday's match, Williams showed a stubborn, sophomore-studded team, and the varsity had to play well to win.

The Summary:

Singles--Weld (H) d. Brian (W), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4; Bowditch (H) d. Buck (W), 6-4, 6-2; Gallwey (H) d. Davidson (W), 6-4, 2-6, 7-5; Vinton (H) d. Tobin (W), 6-3, 6-4; Lemann (H) d. Turner (W), 6-2, 6-1; Wood (H) d. Leathers (W), 6-1, 6-2.

Doubles--Weld-Bowditch (H) d. Buck Tobin (W), 6-2, 6-3; Brian-Davidson (W) d. Lemann-Wood (H), 6-2, 6-3; Gallwey Vinton (H) d. Turner-Kastun (W), 6-0, 6-0.