Speakers Cite Economic Benefits Of Move to European Integration At Final International Seminar

By Arnold Goldstein

European integration "has all the future before it," two speakers agreed last night, but the nature of this future is very uncertain. Erik Brandell, Swedish educator and journalist, and Jan Pen, Dutch professor of economics, discussed the cultural and economic aspects of integration at the final International Seminar Forum.

The European Economic Community, as established this year, provides for a lowering of trade barriers. Pen favored an eventual distribution of technical skill and capital, plus a harmonization of economic policies. The "essence of integration," he stated, lies in "mixing, both economic and social." "Increased international responsibility" must insure free mobility of both goods and persons between the countries of Western Europe. Pen gave strong support to British participation in the economic venture, and hoped Great Britain would look more toward Europe in the future.

Brandell felt that, despite the economic and political advances brought in integration, cultural changes have not kept pace. He doubted the value of cultural integration, and averred that Continental diversity has great value.

Asia Discussed

Western civilization has caused "frustration" in parts of Thailand, Siamese banker Dusdee Svasti-Xuto commented in the first part of the Seminar. Life in this country is related to the Buddhist and Brahmist priests, while people work "for happiness and not for gain." Due to the cultural set-up of the country, Svasti-Xuto felt natives did not want to accept a Western mode of living.

The people of Ceylon want neither Western capitalism nor Soviet communism, a Ceylonese official asserted at the forum. Victor Mahatantila stated that Ceylon follows a neutralist policy as it looks for the best possible way of life. Belonging to the British Commonwealth of Nations, however, brings specific advantages to Ceylon, Mahatantila felt.