Crimson Sextet Romps Over Tufts; Alpine, Thomas Lead 10-Goal Attack

By Robert E. Smith

The varsity hockey team humiliated Tufts to the tune of 10 to 2 last night in some reading period entertainment at Watson Rink. For the heavily favored Crimson, the final game before examinations was a repeat of last week's lopsided, unexciting contest against Norwich, which the sextet won by an identical score.

Left wing Al Alpine took first place in the team's scoring race for the game, getting a hat trick in the romp. Bruce Thomas scored twice.

The entire team had fun, even the varsity's three goalies, who all got into the act. But for the Crimson, the party is over. After the exam break, the team meets Dartmouth at the beginning of the tough half of the schedule. The team's big lead offered coach Cooney Weiland a chance to experiment in preparation for the upcoming games, as he has been doing in the team's previous encounters with colleges of weak caliber.

The only threat to the Crimson's hopes for an easy victory came after a minute and a half of play, when Tufts scored its first goal. With the Crimson ahead 1 to 0 on a tally 24 seconds earlier, the Jumbos' co-captain Paul Farrell scored on goalie Willy Henderson unassisted. Although the shot tied the game for the visitors, no one seemed to worry, except possibly Henderson.

In less than five minutes, the varsity had pulled away for keeps on Greg Downes' blue-line slap shot that Bob Anderson deflected past the Tufts net-minder. The Jumbos' goalie, Ken Tondreau, proved himself quite competent, but had little help from his teammates. He turned away 56 shots during the evening.

Henderson shared the goalie duties for the varsity with number one net minder Bob Bland, who took over in the second period, and with Pete Tague. The latter had the best batting average for the night--saving one shot out of one for 20 minutes of play. Bland handled three of four, and Henderson saved two of three.

Alpine Raises Total to Seven

After the opening goal by Ted Ingalls and Anderson's tie-breaker immediately after, the Crimson's scoring was only for the record books. Alpine brought his season total to seven with his output for the evening.

Both of his tallies were beauties, and each time good passes from his teammates gave him set-up assists. On Alpine's first score, he whipped across the front of the goal and suddenly belted the puck home past Tufts' Tondreau. The team's seventh score came at 14 minutes of the second period, when Alpine took Tom Heintzman's pass from center and blasted a close shot that Alpine himself followed into the cage.

Heintzman, Forbes, Morse Score

Other scorers for the Crimson were Heintzman, Stew Forbes (his ninth of the campaign), and Dave Morse. Thomas scored twice on flurries around the cage as he took passes from his linemates, Jim Dwinell and Morse.

The team's offense attack, while admittedly not facing the opposition that it will next month, appeared well-polished in its attacks, even though Weiland skated a few new forward combinations after the game was clinched. The defensemen had their troubles, however, and were often forced to chase the puck deep into their own end after missing easy passes in the offensive zone.