Phillips Becomes First Sophomore To Head Council

New Vice-President Lowenthal Selected

By Mark H. Alcott

Howard J. Phillips '62 of Eliot House and Brighton last night became the first Sophomore President in the history of the Student Council by virtue of a landslide victory over Albert L. Jacobs '61.

Phillips commanded the support of virtually all the members of last year's Council, whose opinions obviously carried great weight with the newcomers.

The candidates differed on only a few concrete issues. Phillips strongly favored opening election meetings to the press, while Jacobs opposed this move.

There was also an inconsistency between their positions on the National Student Association. Jacobs had stated that the College had relatively little to gain from the organization, but had a duty to participate actively. Phillips also urged greater Council activity in NSA, but he stressed the possible benefits as much as the obligation.

Administrative Ability

Most of the discussion centered on administrative and leadership ability, and Phillips was cited as the more dynamic leader and creative thinker.

In the race for vice-President, Abraham A. Lowenthal '61 of Lowell House and Leominster defeated Jacobs. Previously a candidate for Treasurer, Lowenthal was a last minute entry into the vice-Presidential contest.

In a three-cornered race for Treasurer, John T. Daley '61 of Dudley House and West Roxbury, defeated William M. Kargman '61 and Thomas B. Merritt '61.

The closest contest of the evening was for Secretary. A tie developed on the first ballot, resulting in the elimination of the low man. Peter E. Schreiber '61 of Adams House and Hamden, Conn., nosed out Timothy E. Petri '62 on the second ballot.