THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am much amused by your editorial today on Senator John F. Kennedy's latest speech, which could certainly be classed as a "ringing manifesto from the rear of the battle." On the other hand, when there was actually something to be done, as in the question of a labor reform bill, Kennedy, in going back on the major principles and powers of his bill, hardly displayed great willingness "to serve them at the risk of incurring their monetary displeasure." It was representatives Landrum and Griffin, and those who voted for their bill despite the pressure of the unions, who showed this willingness.

The CRIMSON has put its finger on a national problem in remarking on the quality of presidential campaigns. If the people are best moved to vote for a candidate by a combination of pandering to local desires and motivational research, it is because that is what they want. The President is supposed to represent the will of the people; to ensure a President who is a statesman, we must have an electorate which is interested in and can recognize statesmanship. The fault lies with the people, not with the candidates; the people get what they desire and deserve. In the meantime we can only hope that the men elected by "polite name-calling and Madison Avenue sloganeering" will also display statesmanship. Senator Kennedy has displayed a great ability at keeping his name in the papers; but he has not, as his flyer on the Algerian problem demonstrates, displayed ability to do anything beyond saying things; contrast Vice President Nixon's record of effectiveness.

To quote Pohl and Kornbluth's Presidential Year, a penetrating account of the realities of national politics in novel form:

"That was what it had come down to. To restore the balance of power in Eurasia, you have to lick the enemy by persuading 5,369 Vermonters to vote your way instead of his..." The voter is a piggish, self-centered person; and those who pander to him with farm supports, raises in Social Security, veterans' benefits and laws allowing the unions to do what they want are only strengthening this characteristic. -Theodore Chase, Jr. '60