Loeb Drama Center 'Constitution' Indicates Final Plans of Faculty

Faculty-Student Group to Select All Productions for Main Stage

By Alan H. Grossman

A preliminary draft of the new Loeb Drama Center's 'constitution' includes a provision which would take the final selection of productions out of the hands of the College dramatic groups using its main theater, and another proviso setting up an unrestrictive workshop program opening the Center's Experimental Theatre to all clubs and individuals.

Heads of the University-wide drama groups have seen the draft and a revised version is being circulated to the Faculty Committee on Dramatics.

Members of the Committee, a Technical Director, and about six under-graduates (presumably representing the College-wide drama organizations) will compose the administrative committee for the Center, which will select the productions for the main stage. For the present, a subcommittee, working with the H.D.C., is to administer the Experimental Theatre.

It is proposed that the Faculty Administrator, with the concurrence of the committee, have the power to postpone the openings or replace the directors of Main Stage productions. A majority, rather than unanimous, vote would seem to constitute "concurrence."

Financial responsibility for student plays is not pinned down in the preliminary constitution, and "will be assigned as appropriate" by the administrative committee. The higher cost of staging a production in the Center makes some form of University subsidization seem likely, however.

The purpose of the Center is "to produce plays for audiences, not to teach dramatic arts and skills." But the new document also calls for an extracurricular stage training program in the Experimental Theatre to insure a "high standard of production" on the Main Stage.

The Experimental Theatre will be the center for freshman and sophomore stage training, a student playwright's program, and a required technical training program for anyone using the Main Stage.

Both classics and modern plays are recognized as suitable production material. It is anticipated that the administrative committee will work out production schedules well in advance of each season.

For every Main Stage booking that a group desires, it must submit to the administrative committee from two to four alternate production plans, according to the preliminary document. The Faculty-student group would select one of the productions on the basis of the plans, an interview with the director, and his past dramatic record.

The plans, written by the director, would discuss interpretation and style of presentation, and include set sketches, lighting and costume ideas, and a tentative budget.