Education School Receives Grant To Assist High School Teachers

Funds Will Support Advanced Study

An anonymous gift of $50,000 to the School of Education will provide five fellowships next year for teachers in school systems that are unable to support advanced education for their personnel. The grant will also permit additional fellowships through 1961-62.

Stipends up to $4000 for the academic year and up to $5000 for the full year will be granted to facilitate the graduate training of secondary school teachers and administrators. The donor specifically expressed the hope that Southern Negro educators would be among the beneficiaries.

The School of Education plans to grant additional financial aid to those who qualify for study beyond the first year.

In commenting on the announcement yesterday, Francis Keppel '38, dean of the School of Education, pointed out that certain areas are unable to provide the funds necessary for graduate work, although their teachers, guidance counsellors, and administrators are of proven ability. The fellowships have been established to aid these educators.

The awards, varying in amount according to particular cases, will be made "on the basis of educational promise and financial need," the announcement stated.