Wilson Fund Will Aid University, Radcliffe Graduate Schools

The graduate schools of Harvard and Radcliffe will receive a total of $192,000 from the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, Hugh Taylor, president of the organization, has announced.

The University will receive $154,000 and Radcliffe $38,000. Graduate schools of 75 universities will benefit from the Foundation's current grant.

According to Taylor, the funds are in the form of a subsidy of $2,000 for each Woodrow Wilson Fellow currently enrolled in the respective graduate schools. Three-quarters of each grant is for assistance beyond the first year for any students interested in a teaching career, whether or not they earlier received Wilson Fellowships. The remaining quarter, said Taylor, will be at the discretion of the institution, for improving its graduate programs.

Created to offset the crucial shortage of teachers, the Foundation, initiated by a grant from the Ford Foundation, annually awards approximately 1,000 scholarships.

Some 20 schools received nearly 80 per cent of the total allocation of $1,934,000. With 98 Fellows, Yale received the largest grant. Harvard placed third, and Radcliffe 20th.