Cornell Runners Defeat Varsity by 22-33 Count

By Michael S. Lottman, (Special to the CRIMSON)

ITHACA--A stunning performance by Cornell ruined the varsity cross country team's debut here Saturday as the Big Red triumphed by a 22-33 margin. Cornell's Frank Brockman took first in 27:31 for the five and one-sixteenth mile course, knocking a minute and 10 seconds off his previous best for the year.

Whitey Diegnan finished third, behind Brockman and the Crimson's Mark Mullin, in another inspired effort. John Munday, Ray Westendorp, and Pete Slater snuffed out whatever Crimson hopes remained by taking fifth, sixth, and seventh places.

Sophomore Ed Hamlin came in fourth for the varsity, but captain Jed Fitsgerald was a disappointing eighth. Greg Baldwin and Bob Knapp, in ninth and tenth position, rounded out the Crimson scoring.

Brockman, Mullin and Fitzgerald were running abreast after a mile, but by the two-mile post Fitzgerald had dropped back to fifth. With the race about half over, Mullin led Brockman by a few steps, with Fitzgerald still fifth and Hamlin in sixth place.

As the pack left the Cornell golf course and went into the woods, Mullin and Brockman were fighting for the lead, but the Cornell ace came out of the trees with a slight edge. Brockman continued to increase his margin and won going away by 50 yards. Mullin had to fight off a determined challenge by Diegnan to take second by 15 yards.

Hamlin and Fitzgerald, the other two-thirds of the Crimson's Big Three, never were in contention after the first mile. Hamlin finished with a good sprint to capture fourth from three Cornell runners, but Fitzgerald faded badly.

The unseasonably hot weather and Cornell's blistering early pace contributed to the varsity's downfall. Most of the Crimson performers, with the exception of Mullin, hung back until it was too late to challenge the fleeting Ithacans.

Coach Bill McCurdy emphasized that the Crimson's times, at least, were satisfactory, especially for the season's first meet. Mullin's 27:44 was 10 seconds faster than Crimson great Dyke Benjamin's mark of two years ago.

In the freshman meet, the Yardlings bowed, 18 to 37. Steve Machooka of Cornell shattered the freshman course record by nearly a minute by a 15:35.5 clocking for the three miles 143 yards.