Soccer Squad Surprises Williams by 2-1 Margin

In its best performance of the year, the varsity soccer team pulled itself together and defeated a tough Williams eleven, 2 to 1, yesterday in Williamstown.

The Crimson triumph ended a skein of 11 regular-season victories by the Ephmen, and avenged a 0-0 tie in Cambridge last fall that kept Harvard out of the NCAA tournament. The Crimson now must be considered a strong contender for both the Ivy League and New England League titles.

Midway in the first quarter, Williams' Bob Adams fielded a shot and threw the ball out between his two fullbacks. Crimson halfback Bill King raced between them, stole the ball, and passed to inside Toddy Wendell. Wendell had a clear path to the goal, and beat Adams with his shot.

Williams tied the contest in the third quarter. Wing Perry Gates fired at the Crimson nets, and Bob Forbush's block left the ball rolling around in front of the goal. Center forward Clyde Buck picked the ball out of a scramble and ran it in for the Ephs.

Early in the final period, inside Dick McIntosh, who played a fine all-around game, charged down field and outran two Williams defenders. Adams managed to deflect McIntosh's shot, but then the entire Crimson line converged on him. Wing Sam Rodd pounded the ball past Adams for the winning goal.

For the Crimson, goalie Forbush turned in a steady effort, and fullback Sandy Cortesi, recovered from an attack of blood poisoning, returned to spark the defense. Now sporting a 3-1 record, the Crimson will face Columbia Saturday with confidence.