Soccer Squad Will Battle Rugged Dartmouth Eleven

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity soccer team could be at the door to another Ivy League title after today, if it doesn't trip over the doormat. Dartmouth's prostrate Indians, owners of a 1-5 League record last year, have awakened under new coach Whitey Burnham, and could give the Crimson one of its toughest battles to date today in Hanover.

Dartmouth demonstrated a sizable scoring punch in Knocking four tallies past second-team all-Ivy goalie Denny Master and whipping Brown, 4 to 1, earlier this season. Princeton, perhaps the major threat to another Crimson championship, needed everything it had to defeat the Indians, 3 to 1.

Twelve lettermen, led by captain and top scorer Larry Holden, make the Big Green one of the deepest teams in the League. The Indians are sure of a balanced scoring attack when twin brothers Hugh and Stu Johnson are at left and right inside. Duke Ellington is an experienced, if not particularly agile, netminder.

With a few exceptions, the varsity is nearly healthy. Inside Bruce Johnstone, out for almost a month with a groin injury, played in Saturday's Columbia game, but will not make the trip to Dartmouth. Inside Johann Nottebohm has an injured Achilles tendon, and fullback John Jeppson still is suffering from a thigh pull. Left halfback Bill King, a defensive whis whom coach Bruce Munro calls "the backbone of the halfback line," is afflicted with a virus, but should be ready to play.

After years as a defensive team, the varsity showed signs of becoming a hit-'em longer-and-harder outfit against Columbia. Fullbacks Sandy Cortesi and Tim Mor-had trouble clearing the ball, and developed a new weakness--powerless kicking. But they both have the speed to recover after a mistake.

Bob Forbush will start in the nets for the Crimson, unless the weather is inclement, in which case sophomore John Adams will probably play. Forbush, with his dislocated finger taped to the digit next to it, cannot put on the gloves Crimson goalies customarily use in cold or wet conditions.

King, Peter Savage, and captain Bill Driver will open at the halfbacks, with sophomore flash Tony Davies seeing action both in the backfield and on the line.

Last fall, a weak Dartmouth squad succumbed here only after Marsh McCall clicked on one of the few halfback goals Munro can remember. It may take a similar intervention by whoever watches over soccer teams for the varsity to win today. You can't ever tell about Dartmouth games.