Yachtsmen Win NEISA Series, place Second in Olberg Regatta

By Peter S. Britell

Routing their reason's of bad luck, the varsity sailing team won one important regatta and placed second in another to net its first major success of the frost-biting season.

Carter Ford and a three-man crew won all the races at the Coast Guard Academy Saturday to quality for the finals in the NEISA sloop Championships. Although disqualified after a first-race win, Ford skippered his 34-ft. Raven to victory in the next five heats to carry the day with 35 points.

Spinnakers Help

Six times Ford rounded the windward mark in second or third place. Six times the lightning spinnaker of Mike Horn, John Kimbell, and George Pring put the Crimson ahead on the downwind leg; and, six times they stayed ahead.

Northeastern (21) and Tufts (25) took runner-up slots, while the usually strong Coast Guard and M.I.T. skippers placed fifth (24) and sixth (22) respectively.

The Tech skippers had their revenge yesterday, however, when they edged the Crimson for first in the Olberg Trophy Ragatta on the Charles Basin.

Fighting for gusts in a 14-knot breeze, the Crimson battl4ed back and forth with the Engineers and B.U. all afternoon, but finally lost out by a three-point margin, 107-104.

Ford, John Marshall, end Tom Munnell managed to hold back B.U.'s Dick Cook and company, who fell behind in the last races and finished third with 99. Despite his team loss, Cook was high-point winner with Ford a close second.