Soccer Squad Will Face B.U. Team Here Today

By Michael S. Lottman

In past years, it has been customary to treat the B.U. soccer game as a sort of organized play period, but things are different this season. Coach Bruce Munro's varsity squad is not the powerful aggregation it once was, and the possibility of a loss to the Terriers this afternoon can not be discounted. Kickoff time for the Crimson's last non-Ivy contest of the fall is 2 p.m. on the Business School Field.

The Terriers have a young defense and a veteran offense. Even though B.U.'s record is only 2-5, most of its games have been close, and the inexperienced protection has not given up very many goals, Perhaps the chief reason for this is the presence of co-captain Stu Langton, the best goalie B.U. has ever had.

B.U. is always extremely eager to defeat the Crimson, and the Terriers will have an added incentive since today's clash will be their last game of the year.

Munro watched the Terriers early in the season, and calls them "a pretty good club--good enough to give us a battle." But the eleven Munro saw in action has been depleted by the loss of its top three offensive threats, who were declared ineligible for participating in a semi-pro league.

Another ineligibility incident recently improved the varsity's slate from 5-3 to 5-2. Halfback Noel Wilson, who scored the decisive goal in Amherst's 2-0 win over the Crimson early in the season, turned out to be a professional, and the game has been officially stricken from the records. Wilson reportedly played on a professional team in Philadelphia.

The Crimson starting lineup will definitely be changed at one position, at least; sophomore John Adams will replace Bob Forbush in the nets. Munro said the chief reason for this move was to give Adams some needed letter time. With the same end in view, the coach hopes to play nearly everybody against the Terriers.

The team is in good physical condition, with two exceptions. Inside Teddy Wendell, who has starved in recent encounters, bit his tongue during the Princeton game, and the resulting wound required six stitches. Center half Peter Savage has an injured leg muscle, thanks to a kick receiver from a Tiger performer.

Munro is still looking for a complete solution to his wing problem. In the absence of talent at the outside positions, Munro has been forced to play Dick McIntosh, an inside by trade, at right wing. McIntosh, after several rocky showings, was brilliant in the 1-0 loss to Princeton.