Crews Finish Fall Season With Informal Competition

Boyden's Four Loses

The varsity heavyweight and light-weight crews ended the fall rowing season yesterday with the annual inter-squad race on the Charles River. A slight tail wind made conditions perfect as the various boats sprinted over a one-mile course in the informal affair.

Competing in the heavyweight event were three Crimson eights, a four stroked by Captain Perry Boyden, and a crew from the Union Boat Club, a private organization.

A Crimson crew stroked by Fred Winthrop won the close race by three fourths of a length. John Donald's boat finished second, followed closely by the crew from the Union Boat Club. Coming in fourth after a three length handicap was Boyden's four, which fell behind in the finishing sprint. The fifth crew, stroked by Dana Whitten, came in a half a length behind the four.

The lightweight race included three undergraduate boats and a crew from the Business School stroked by Jim Meade. Winning the race and the "Hackers Cup," Larry Fogleburg's crew finished three-fourths of a length ahead of Bill Adler's boat Dick Garver's eight beat out the Business School boat to finish third.

Commenting on the fall season, coach Harvey Love characterized his rowers as "rather green" with much to learn. "We accomplished some things but we could have made more improvement on others."

Spring Prospects Uncertain

Although the team did "pretty much the same this year as last year," Love pointed out that it is difficult to predict prospects for the spring season. In the fall he was more concerned with improving each individual's form than in putting together a winning boat, Love explained. The crews in the race, he continued, contained a "pretty even distribution of wealth," and no one boat was expected to win.

Training and competition for places in the boats do not begin until the spring, the coach said.