Eberly's Plan Shapes Peace Corps Proposals

Would Provide Substitute for Military Service

Senator Kennedy's proposal for a "Peace Corps" composed of young men who would otherwise participate in military service stems in part from a program framed by Donald J. Eberly, Assistant Director of the International Students Office.

This proposal, issued in San Francisco Tuesday night, bears a close resemblance to the United States Peace Corps Act introduced last year in Congress by Sen. Hubert Humphrey. A letter from Eberly, once a school teacher in Nigeria, had acquainted Humphrey with the idea.

In an attempt to develop a far-reaching people-to-people diplomatic program, the Bill would send a number of American young people to work directly with citizens of under-developed countries. If the Bill is passed, a maximum of 500 young people will be recruited during the program's first year. Under present plans, the Peace Corps would expand gradually, allowing no more than 5,000 during its fourth year.

To be selected, aspirants must be over 21 1/2 years of age at their induction. They must also, according to the Bill, "be highly qualified in a particular skill... be willing to serve in relatively primitive areas... be essentially adaptable, physically fit, and emotionally and intellectually mature." A new Government agency will be created to administer the Corps, but will work intimately with the State Department, the USIS, and the CIA.

For several reasons the requirements of the Corps will discourage young people seeking to avoid military service, according to drafters of the Act: 1) the period of service is three years, a year longer than normal military service; 2) there are no veterans' compensations; 3) members will frequently have more arduous tasks than men in military service.

Monro Approves of Plan

Commenting on Kennedy's proposal, Dean Monro called the Peace Corps "a healthy notion," but expressed hope that some of its members would be used to "clean up backward areas in the United States."

This weekend, a group of college students--including some from the University--will meet at Princeton to discuss approaches to the "mobilization of youthful energies for humanitarian purposes," including the Humphrey Bill and Kennedy's proposal.