Crimson Downs Bruin Swimmers

By Peter S. Britell

It was mostly murder Saturday night, as a smooth but not outstanding Crimson machine squashed an all-but-helpless Brown swimming team, 69 to 26.

Coach Bill Brooks' boys held the Bruins to one first place, a 3:26.7 victory over varsity third-stringers in the 400 froeestyle relay.

Aside from John Morris, who took two of his team's four second places, Brown provided virtually no opposition in any event. Holding his power in reserve, Brooks spent most of the evening experimenting with the lineup.

Pringle Wine Butterfly

Highlights came in the 200 butterfly and in the 440 freestyle. In his second Harvard meet, sophomore John Pringle hauled in a 2:09.8 win the fly, an early season performance only 3.4 seconds from both pool and Harvard records.

Another sophomore, George Mulligan, sprinted to victory with 4:47.1 in the 440 and knocked more than four seconds off his winning time last week.

One of the four mainstays who swam more than once, Bob Kaufmann took a competent :22.4 first in the 50 free and an easygoing 2:14.5 in the backstroke. Captain Bill Schellstede, who helped out in the medley relay, won 200 breastroke honors by close to three quarters of a lap.

Allan Engleberg splashed to a fair 2:17.3 in the 200 individual medley, while Bruce Hunter took the 220 free in 2:12.3.

In a notably mediocre one meter diving contest, Jeff Lewy led Ric Johnson and Brown's Bill Alderman with 64.83. Highest score for a single dive was six. Fred Cooley touched out Bruin Tom McMullen to take the 100 free in a singularly inspired, but slow 53.9.

Although the Crimson could well have held the Bruins to less than ten points, and although the season is still young, the times will have to go down before the meet with Yale.