Harriman, Cohen Analyze American Image in Africa

See Need to Recognize Independence

W. Averell Harriman and Sir Andrew Cohen concluded Twentieth Century Week yesterday with a plea that America improve its image in the eyes of developing African countries by recognizing that these countries need not take sides in the cold war.

"The cold war is not a battle for men's minds," declared Harriman, former Governor of New York and Ambassador to the Soviet Union. "The Communists are engaged in such a battle, but it is our objective to free men's minds."

Harriman maintained that the cold war should not even be regarded as a battle between capitalism and communism. Economic theories are important, he said, but Africans will never believe that America wishes them to be independent unless they are allowed to handle their own economic affairs.

Sharply attacking the idea that underdeveloped nations always take sides when voting in the United Nations, the declared "They don't vote either for us or against us. They vote in the interests of their own people."

Most African leaders, said Harriman, wish to keep out of East-West conflicts. But he gave one exception to this rule: President Nkrumah of Ghana, who supports the "pro-Communist" ideas of Lumumba.

When an Asian member of the audience said he thought Lumumba was not "pro-Communist," and the rightful ruler of the Congo, Harriman became adamant. "You have no right to state such opinions as fact." he answered.

Sir Andrew Cohen

Sir Andrew Cohen, Permanent British Representative to the UN Trusteeship Council, pleaded that the United States "keep out of politics" in dealing with African nations.

Many Africans, Cohen asserted, think that "America's attitude toward their countries is far too much affected by fear of the infiltration of Communism."

"There is too much of a tendency to see Communists under every bush," he said, "and of course, you know, there are many bushes in Africa."

Although the dangers of Communism are very real, America "should not confuse nationalism with Communism," Cohen said. Nor should America assume that those who do not agree with its policies are Communists: "Independence is independence."

"No Strings Attached"

"Keeping out of politics" in Africa, Cohen maintained, means giving aid "with no strings attached." America should ask nothing in return for its aid to Africa, except that the countries use the aid efficiently.

Cohen also stated that America's loyalty to its allies need not conflict with its sympathy for African anti-colonialism. "Your judgments should be based on principle, not friendship or alliance," he said.