Browder Asserts Chinese Doctrine Now Rules Russian Communism

The inevitability of war has replaced peaceful co-existence as the central doctrine of communism, Earl Browder, a leader of the Communist Party expelled in 1946 for disagreeing as to its future aims in America, told a Ford Hall Forum audience last night.

Embodied in the new Communist Manifesto, published during the recent Moscow conference of the 81 communist parties, the change in policy means that Peking is now the "ideological center" of the communist world. Political pressures within Russia, Browder asserted, forced Khrushchev to submit to the Chinese stand that history will guarantee a socialist victory in any war.

Return to Stalinism

Khrushchev's table-thumping performance at the United Nations is evidence of this return to post-war Stalinism and the rigid division of East and West into two absolutely opposed camps, he claimed. Moscow's inability to do anything but tone down the "obvious crudities" of Chinese policy in the Manifesto is proof that Mao Tse-Tung can intervene successfully in Russia's internal affairs.

Rephrasing the topic from "can communism exist independent of Russia" to "can communism and Russia exist independent of Peking," Mr. Browder still emphasized that China will not become a greater power than Russia within the next 100 years, although it may start a world war. Furthermore, China is opposed by another communist nation which "has achieved real independence," Yugoslavia.

Responsibility for Peace

Mr. Browder stressed that not only does Yugoslavia defend the policy of peaceful co-existence and repudiate war as an instrument of socialism, but Marshal Tito's party also accepts the responsibility for bringing about peace. Yugoslavia, the harbinger of a new trend in the communist world, is therefore an indispensable ally of the West in its struggle to ease cold-war tensions.

Challenging the United States to "escape from a sterile foreign policy formed by accident and bureaucracy," Mr. Browder cited need for a positive program attacking poverty and supporting national liberation. Since the new Manifesto guarantees that the communist ideological struggle with the West will be uncompromising, the "intellectually paralyzed" U.S. must take advantage of the fact that a "monolithic unity does not exist in the communist world."