Officials Discuss Future of Corps

Officials from government, foundations, and universities attended a conference in Tasington today under the direction of st. Maurice Albertson of Colorado State University, who is conducting a study of the Youth Corps for the International cooperation Administration. Out of the discussion came these signs:

The ICA is not eager to assume control of a large scale Youth Corps, but the ey may hire an increasing number of young college graduates as part of its intern technical assistance programs.

The State Department is upset because of the proliferation of U.S. groups--governments land private--working in foreign aid and would like to coordinate all efforts perhaps under a semi-autonomous agency within the department.

"Ward of the State"

Various political scientists proposed that the Youth Corps be a "ward of the " for which Congress would set up in send (as it does for the Smithsonian Institute) and allow the agency to develop more or less on its own.

Officials of foundation, farm, and labor organizations now active in foreign fields suggested governmental grants-in-aid to already existing groups.

Students with experience in international affairs are warning against a directly governmental Youth Corps which would raise political objections in many underdeveloped countries.

Rep. Reuss advocated a "pluralism" under governmental coordination--a federal agency making grants to a spectrum of private organizations.

About 25 officials from governmental agencies, the academic world, and foundations met at the conference in the nation's capital, caleld by Albertson fo information and opinions in connection with his study on the Youth Corps.

"Ward of the State"