Sailing Team Sweeps Final Race, Comes From Behind to Win Regatta

A near-perfect finish in the last race gave the Crimson sailors a spectacular upset victory over the Frostbite group of the Boston Yacht Club on Saturday.

Racing in zero degree weather past snow-lined banks and frozen docks in Marblehead Harbor, Crimson skippers brought their dinghies in first, second, third, fourth, and sixth in the fifth race to win the meet by 140 1/2 to 132 3/4.

Lost First Three Races

In the first three races, Harvard sailors John Marshall, Carter Ford, Chuck Angle, Mike Horn, and Mike Lehmann faced opponents with better boats and better sails. Ahead 83 1/2 to 82 1/2 going into the fourth race, the Marblehead sailors offered to swap boats.

A mediocre finish in the new boats put the Crimson behind by 17 1/2 points. Undismayed, the five skippers ("We had to keep moving around to keep our feet from freezing") took the final race by 39 1/4 to 15, a large enough margin to carry the meet.

Results of the final and decisive race were: Chuck Angie, first; Mike Horn, second; Carter Ford, third; Mike Lehmann, fourth; and John Marshall, sixth.

The Harvard team used Inter Club dinghies owned by Marblehead sailors. In races at home, they use the facilities of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.