Morgenthau Connects Disarmament With Solution of Political Conflicts

The only revolutionary fact in international relations since the beginning of history" -- the development of atomic weapons -- may keep the current arms race from becoming too great. Hans J. Morgenthau, professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago, told a Burr B audience last Thursday

Although Morgenthau held out little hope for total disarmament, he believed technological stability might bring a balance between the United States and the Soviet Union, with both sides possessing invulnerable attack forces. Keeping the amount of armaments within reasonable bounds, he stated, should become the "realistic aim" of the government.

Community of Interests

"Surely there is no rationality in destroying ourselves as well as the enemy." The essentially unlimited power of nuclear weapons provides the opportunity for a "community of interests," brought by mutual understanding of nuclear war horrors.

In introducing the general topic, Disarmament: Conditions and Consequences," Morgenthau outlined the "general fascination" that disarmament has exercised over the human mind. Even at the present time, people tend to equate the abolition of arms with the preservation of peace--an identity Morgenthau denied.

Disarmament can never be separated from political conflicts, he pointed out. These "underlying, unsolved political conflicts" make any meaningful moves toward disarmament impossible. Only when the two sides no longer fear each other, Morgenthau noted, can disarmament become possible.

Owing to such conflicts, armaments reduction conferences have increasingly become "a kind of ritual." Political problems are not discussed directly, yet they play an important part in any negotiations. Morgenthau did see some hope, however, in the suspended Geneva talks on the cessation of atomic testing. These discussions, he commented, are "symbols of the ability and willingness of both sides to reach limited technical agreement."

Lessened Sovereignty

Should disarmament be effected, Morgenthau noted that national sovereignty inevitably would be impaired. In contrast with popular opinion, which feels disarmament and unlimited sovereignty can be harmonized, Morgenthau emphasized that only a supra-national agency could effectively guarantee peace.

In a brief question and answer period, he doubted the farsightedness of the current American disarmament position. "To want effective inspection systems," Morgenthau said, "is to desire a utopia or not to want disarmament."

This afternoon, Philip Rieff, associate professor of Speech at the University of California, will speak on the topic, "On Being an Intellectual: Two Traditions." The lecture starts at 3 p.m. in Burr B