International Student Office To Extend University Role

The International Student Office will maintain a "much closer relationship" wtih foreign students and organizations interested in international relations, Donald J. Eberly, Assistant Director of International Students, said yesterday.

The Office will have a full-time Assistant Director for the first time this year, and its activities will include greater personal contact as well as advice on problems such as visas and housing. In addition, David D. Henry '41, the new Director of the Office, and Director of Admissions, is now visiting African countries in an effort to expand to other countries the Nigerian-American Scholarship Program in which 24 colleges now take part. The Office last year served 900 students in the University, about 130 of them in the College, and assisted 300 scholars visiting Harvard for research.

Problems of Assimilation

Difficulties of foreign students in customs, language and educational systems have raised interest in more personal ways of assimilation into American and University life. The Office is working with a new undergraduate organization of both Americans and foreign students that aims at "a better relationship and understanding between Americans and others on an individual, personal basis." The group, the World Cultural Society, is visiting all 42 new Freshmen from abroad and hopes to help foreign students to travel in this country or to arrange for them to stay with American families.

The Society hopes to reduce the frequent isolation of these students by regular meetings that will make use of their knowledge and background. Along with several informal groups it will sponsor talks, films, native dance performances and forums.