COUNCIL PRIVILEGE CARDS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

At registration this year undergraduates who contributed to the Student Council were presented with special Council Privilege Cards. These cards entitle students to admission to all Student Council forums as well as to all sessions of our forthcoming 20th Century Week program, in addition to several other minor privileges. It was also indicated that the possession of Privilege Cards would be required for admission to showings of the Harvard football films.

It was felt that since not all undergraduates support the Council financially, those who do should receive special acknowledgment. This opinion was reinforced by an awareness that many students in the past have been resentful about giving when so many others did not--and still gained equal advantage from the Council's work.

The Council was unexpectedly informed on Wednesday that the Administration would not allow restrictions on admission to showings of the football films since these are University property. At the same time we were told that the Privilege Card limitation in the other areas listed is perfectly legitimate.

It was impossible for use to foresee the Administration's decision. However, the Council wishes to make clear that the decision is not due to any bad faith on its part, and that no other privileges have been jeopardised by the Dean's decision.

On behalf of the Council I would like to thank the many students who have supported us and who have made it possible by their contributions for us to plan a promising program of services and activities. Howard J. Phillips '62,   President, Harvard Student Council.