WHRB to Enter AM Channel In Towers, Radcliffe

Residents in Leverett Towers, in parts of Quincy House, and even at Radcliffe will be able to hear WHRB on A.M. radio by this winter, Kenneth R. Dana '62, president of Harvard Radio Broadcasting Co., Inc., said last night. The station already broadcasts on F.M. to the Boston area and on A.M. to most of the University.

Dana blamed lack of sufficient manpower for the delay in sending A.M. service to Quincy, although the station management had promised it by last December. Only the south end of the eighth House is wired for WHRB, A.M. Installation of a tuning unit and a separate transmitter, necessary to cover the rest of Quincy, is set for this fall.

The station has taken over the facilities of Radio Radcliffe and renovated them for its use. With a tuning unit in Moors Hall, WHRB will be able to transmit A.M. signals to most of the 'Cliffe Yard.

Dana also announced last night the creation of a memorial fund--named for the late I. Louis Weinmann '46, former WHRB member--that has financed a new control booth at the station's studios.

An original grant of $2000 by the Weinmann family, to be followed by gifts from friends of Weinmann, has enabled WHRB to build the modern booth.