Boston College to Challenge Crimson Hockey Team Tonight

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

People who watch only one hockey game a year should go see the varsity take on Boston College tonight. Face-off time is at 8 p.m. in Watson Rink, and standing room tickets are still available.

Harvard handed the Eagles their sole defeat of the season in last Monday's 2-1 thriller. Only four days ago, however, B.C. posted a relatively easy 6-4 win over the same St. Lawrence team that beat the Crimson in overtime before Christmas vacation, and this time the conclusion suggested by juggling comparative scores is the correct one: tonight's contest in anybody's. The only sure winners will be the more than 2000 fans jammed inside Watson.

With the final practice sessions completed, both coaches report their teams to be at full strength for this evening's game. All three of the Crimson players who have sustained injuries this year--Harry Howell, Bill Beckett, and Jim Dwinell--are ready to go.

B.C. Long on Talent

The team they must play boasts a coster fully as impressive as its record. Defenseman Tom Martin, all all-American last year, may well be as good as any player to skate on Watson ice since the clearys, and the linemen he plays behind are all excellent in their own right: Billy Daly, B.C.'s first line center and high scorer, is a strong contender for all-American honors this year, and Owen Hughes, whom his coach describes as the "best defensive wing in college hockey today," has the distinction of turning in a hat trick against St. Lawrence. The third member of the first line is 210-1b, Jack Leetch, almost on a par with Hughes and Daly.

The other Eagle to watch tonight is goalie Jimmy Logue--all-East two years ago but unable to play in 1959-60. Logue turned away 18 Crimson shots in the game last week, before Stu Forbes, and then Gerry Jorgenson got the puck past him. Jorgenson's shot bounced off the goalie's skate.

With all his players available, Crimson coach Cooney Weiland plans to keep Dave Grannis at the defensive spot where he finished the Colgate game, at that time substituting for Howell. With Howell back, the two will work as a pair. The lines will be much the same as they have been so far this year, with Crocker Snow, Stu Forbes, and Dave Crosby forming one unit. Jim Dwinell, Dave Morse, and Bill Beckett a second, and Tom Heintzman, Dean Alpine, and Ted ingalls a third. Jorgenson and Tim Taylor will switch into all three lines, Weiland said last night.

Weiland plans no changes in the basic patterns that brought the Crimson its first victory, feleing that "we did it once: we can do it again." B.C. coach John Kelley doesn't think so at all.