Likely Appointments Would Deplete Faculty Of Law School by 10%

On January 20, the Law School will lose more than 10 per cent of its full professors if present rumors materialize.

Archibald Cox, Royall Professor of Law, has already been appointed Solicitor General.

Three Law School professors in addition to Cox will reportedly have posts in the new administration. They include Abram J. Chayes '43, professor of Law, who may already have been appointed legal advisor in the State Department; Louis Loss, professor of Law, who has been mentioned as Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission; and Stanley S. Surrey, Jeremiah Smith, Jr. Professor of Law, who may become assistant secretary of the Treasury Department.

"I can't say a word concerning any appointment," Loss said yesterday. But on the basis of his 15 years in the SEC, many consider Loss a likely choice for its chairmanship.

Loss Would Return

"If the stories that the papers are carrying are correct, I would regard the appointment as an opportunity to do a service for the country," Surrey declared. He went on to say that were he appointed he would eventually want to return to the University.

"The next few months will be difficult," according to Louis A. Toepfer, Vice Dean of the Law School, "but the school can and will adjust." The awkwardness of the reorganization is accentuated by its coming in the middle of the year, he pointed out.

Toepfer suggested several possible solutions for the schedule problems next term. Classes may be merged, new professors procured, or schedules altered.