Canvas Chairs Burn At Fire in Longfellow

A small fire in a basement storage room of Longfellow Hall disrupted noon classes yesterday, but caused little damage.

Several trucks, including a ladder, rushed to the scene at 12:55 p.m. caused some instructors to dismiss their classes early. An alarm rang in the building a few minutes later.

Several canvas chairs were destroyed in the fire, which apparently started when oily rags ignited spontaneously. The blaze was extinguished quickly, with little injury reported to the storage room.