Medical School Grants Proposed

A $100 million plan for construction of new schools of medicine, dentistry, and public health has been introduced by Rep. John E. Fogarty (Dem., R. I.). The bill also provides $50 million to expand existing medical schools.

Fogarty said the that under the terms of the bill the government would provide up to two-thirds the cost of any construction intended to increase the teaching capacity of the school. Grants to any one medical school would be fixed at $3 million, with dental or public health schools limited to $1 million apiece.

Commenting on the need for doctors, Fogarty said, "We are not equipped to meet the needs of today and even less prepared to face the challenge of tomorrow." It is estimated that a shortage of almost 15,000 doctors will exist by 1975.

The bill is expected to meet Administration approval, though the Republicans opposed a similar measure in 1959. Fogarty also stated that he is "led to believe that the American Medical Association finally recognises the real shortage of doctors in this country."

Rep. Fogarty also expects his forthcoming bill which would provide federal scholarship aid for medical students to win Congressional and Administration approval. However he expects "a real fight" on a bill for direct federal aid to meet medical school operating costs.