Yale Protests Smith Position on Classes

"Such tyrannical shackles cannot go uncontested," cried the Yale Daily News in protest to a regulation forcing Smith College girls to attend classes on the day of the Harvard-Yale game.

Smith normally holds classes on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving Day. This year The Game falls on that weekend, but Smith will require class attendance as usual. About 50 per cent of the girls are affected.

In an editorial heartily endorsed by Smith's weekly Sophian, the News pleaded with Smith President Thomas Mendenhall, a Yale alumnus, to realize the educational advantages of a weekend date in New Haven. Or surely Mrs. Mendenhall has realized the joys of a Yale date and can convince her husband accordingly, suggested the Yalies.

The Yale Cricket Club, which plays an annual game with the Smith faculty on Harvard-Yale weekend, was reported to be quite upset about the whole business.

There is no sign of weakening from Northhampton, said a News editor last night. But, groaned the Yalie Dailie, "passive resistance may be in order; for Smith never submits without protest."