Lampoon Parody of 'Mademoiselle' Sells Entire July Issue of 600,000

By Robert E. Smith

The Harvard Lampoon, after two close calls with Federal authorities, reported yesterday a complete sellout (600,000 copies) of their July parody of Mademoiselle. The national fashion magazine had turned over its plant to the college humor men.

The 'Poon nearly ran into trouble over its publication because of a fake advertisement for "Reduce-a-Leg," a miracle lotion that promised to make extra pounds disappear. The ad offered two free booklets, "Hey, Fatso!" (for before use) and "Hey, Skinny!" (for after use), to anyone who returned a coupon to "Reduce-a-Leg," 14 Plympton St., Cambridge. The address is the home of the Harvard CRIMSON.

The CRIMSON immediately received about 1000 coupons from gullible women throughout the country. Post Office officials, aware of the stunt by the increased mail volume, originally took a dim view of it but later agreed--at the CRIMSON'S suggestion--to forward all "Reduce-a-Leg" mail to the Lampoon.

Frustrated Reducer

Jack M. Winter '62, President of the Lampoon, said that 4000 coupons were received over the summer. As late as last Friday the CRIMSON received a special delivery air mail request from a female who had tried twice before to get the booklets.

Registration Week, two Food and Drug Administration officials from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare traced "Reduce-a-Leg" to 14 Plympton St., looked suspiciously at machinery of the Crimson Printing Company (also at 14 Plympton St.), then, unamused, listened to the whole story of the parody.

Satisfied that no product called "Reduce-a-Leg" existed, the inspectors asked about a possible connection between it and "Hairgreaux," another mythical product invented by the Peon.

Filene's in Boston and Lord and Taylor in New York City, among other ladies stories, used the Peon's "Clothes Not to Be Caught Dead In" these in window displays this summer.