Admissions Seen No Obstacle GSAS Merger

By Frederic Ballard

A potential drawback to the Harvard, Radcliffe GSAS merger evaporated yesterday as W. J. Bate '39, chairman of English Department, stated that difficulties in deciding between equally qualified male and female applicants for admission or scholarships are surmountable.

These difficulties will arise in any department to which a large number of apply for graduate studies, Mary I. Bunting president of Radcliffe, pointed out in her speech before the November Falculty meeting. No conflict exists at present because different offices handle men and women.

Bate emphasized that his department, largest in the University, must process about 530 admissions applications year, of which a full third are from girls. No other discipline attracts this many women for graduate study.

New Factor for Girls

Putting all the fellowship requests through a single office will complicate matters because administrators must weigh a new factor besides scholastic merit; far fewer women then men will complete their studies, usually because of a marriage, and from the Department's point of view it is not as wise to spend money on them.

Both Mrs. Bunting and John P. Elder, Dean of the GSAS and the other speaker on the merger at the Faculty meeting, participated that when funds were limited, women would not have the same chance for fellowships as men.

Bate said that this policy might be difficult to apply under the pressure of individual requests for scholarships by qualified girls.

he pointed out that the English Department operates on a budget coming straight from the University, and, unlike some small fields such as Classics, has no endowment of its own.

One other possible effect of the merger which both Bunting and Elder listed was that changing the name on the degree to Harvard" might make it more attractive women and increase the number of applications.