Quincy Stops Title Chance For Leverett

An awesome Quincy House defense ended Leverett's chances for a share of the House football championship yesterday as Quincy beat the Bunnies, 6 to 0, on the House fields.

With three minutes left in the final period, Quincy stopped a Leverett drive less that six inches from the goal line.

The loss gave Leverett a final record of 6-2-0. This clears the way for Kirkland, with a 6-1-0 mark, to take the House championship if it beats Dudley this afternoon, as it is virtually certain to do.

Quincy ended the season in fourth place at 5-2-1.

Left halfback Gill Bamford scored Quincy's touchdown on a 21-yard run around right end midway in the first period. A 30-yard have from quarterback George Campbell to Ken Anderson set up the play.

After that, neither side threatened to score until late in the fourth quarter, when Leverett mounted a sustained advence from its own 30-yard line. Small carries, mostly by Mike Hardesty, Buddy Lynch, and Chuck O'Conner, finally brought the ball to the Quincy three-yard line for a first down.

As Leverett fans yelled, "Now's the time, you Bunnies," Lynch and Hardesty slammed forward. On fourth down, with the ball inches short of the goal, Hadesty threw himself into the Quincy line. He was met by a wall of defenders which kept him out of the end zone and sealed Leverett's defeat.