Plank Describes Quadros' Reason For Resignation

One morning, 10 months after he had been elected president of Brazil by the largest plurality in that country's history, Janio Quadros resigned. "Quadros preferred to resign rather than see a gradual take-over by forces of the extreme left," John N. Plank, instructor in Government, said last night.

The surprise resignation originally brought charges of "complete political irresponsibility," Plank asserted. Gradually, many theories explaining Quadros' abrupt departure arose, ranging from "He was forced out by Congress" to "He was forced out by Yankee Imperialists." Insanity has even been suggested.

However, Plank discredits all these possibilities. The only explanation Quadros himself offered was "there are obscure forces in Brazil with which I cannot cope and against which I cannot govern."

Plank believes that these "obscure forces" were a result of political miscalculation by Quadros. The independent Brazilian president was trying to satisfy both the far right and the far left in Brazil by maintaining a moderate domestic policy and a radical foreign policy.

But, by this dual policy, he wound up satisfying no one, according to Plank. Therefore, rather than be forced into the leftist camp for political support, Quadros resigned.

Plank stated that Quadros had been extremely "edgy" in the 10 months after his 1960 election, and on Aug. 25, 1961, the day of his resignation, he had been especially restive.

Thus, Plank related, when the minister of war handed Quadros a written speech to read at a meeting, he was "prepared to see in it all sorts of exceptional things." Quadros not only refused to give the speech, but an hour later turned his resignation over to Congress.