Late Rally Tops Crimson Five, 79-68

By Steven V. Roberts

Strong rumors that Harvard will play basketball for only 30 instead of the usual 40 minutes for the rest of the season were vehemently denied by official sources last night. Spectators at the game with the University of Conneticut last night, however, seemed to think it might be a pretty good idea.

Yes, Harvard lost. The score was 79-68 but with a little over 10 minutes re-gaining the Crimson was winning by one point, 51-50. In fact, with 4:10 showing on the IAB clock, the score was Connecticut 65, Harvard 63.

Then all of a sudden--boom. The floor seemed to be filled with blue shirts, all running one way--toward the Uconn basket. Occasionally a white shirt could be seen among them, defending valiantly--but only occasionally.

When the dust had settled the big clock showed two minutes to go, and the score was Connecticut 75, Harvard 61. It was all over, as they say, but the shouting.

One is tempted to say the Harvards didn't deserve their fate. Led by captain Gary Borchard and Denny Lynch, they took the lead early and held it until UConn finally caught up with five minutes left in the half. The lead see-sawed until the Huskies scored two quick baskets to go ahead 36-33 at the break.

Crimson Kept Even

With Bill Danner battling opponents as much as seven inches taller--and grabbing most of the rebounds--the Crimson kept even with the flashy UConns. Joe Deering and Borchard each scored a few until Deering's jump shot put the Crimson ahead, 51-50. The rest, alas, has already been recorded.

As noted, one is tempted to say the Harvards didn't deserve their fate. Danner, with 14 rebounds, four more than any of the huge, clumsy Huskies, was especially outstanding. Borchard scored 20 for the second straight game and Lynch had 19.

But then there is the last 10 minutes. For the second time the Crimson's switching man to man was effective for three-quarters of the game, only to fold when fatigue and fouls caught up with the starters. In addition, the guards were horrendously slow getting back on defense as the UConns broke three and four men on every play.

It can be said the Crimson wasn't supposed to win, and nobody had too many hopes. But those last 10 minutes! Jim, gimme another coke--double on the rocks.