Wrestling Team Beats Pennsylvania 20-15; Fencers Defeated

Crimson grapplers held a strong University of Pennsylvania team to a 20-15 victory at the IAB Saturday. After losing the first three contests, the Tigers slowly gained to win the meet in the 1st match.

Starting for Harvard, Tony Woodfield decisioned his man in the 123-lb. class Georke Doub handily took an 8-2 decision at 133 to put the varsity ahead 6-0. At 137 it was Nick Estabrook all the way, as he pinned Charlie Carr, an experienced opponent, in 1 min., 2 sec., of the third period.

Undefeated this year, Estabrook has pinned his man in five of his eight matches.

In the heavier weights the Tigers began to score, sparked by co-captain Pete Schantz's pin at 167, after a great struggle by the Crimson's John Valentine. John Doubman's win for Penn at 177 tied the score 13-13.

Red Grant, in an exciting contest at 191 lbs. against Penn co-captain Al Donzanti, went off the mat ten times but just missed a tie-breaking takedown. With the score 15-15 Penn's agile Denny Wooley pinned Harvard heavy-weight Bill Hurley to clinch the meet for the Penn team.

Fencers Lose to NYU

Also playing at home Saturday, the fencers lost 10-7 to a powerful team from New York University. The visitors are defending NCAA champions and boast five Olympic swordsmen.

The vistors began by taking all three foil bouts. In the epee the Crimson lost the first two matches, but took the third by an upset.

Competing in the sabre event, John Piel led off with a 2-1 victory over his opponent. Lou Heder repeated, winning by the same score at number two position.