Hoopsters Lose 76-71 To Brown at I.A.B.; Return to Cellar

By Steven V. Roberts

It was the New Crimson basketball team that played Brown for 37 minutes and 40 seconds Saturday night at the I.A.B. Unfortunately, Harvard reverted to its old practices with the score tied at 69-69 and 2:20 remaining, so Brown won 76-71.

While Brown vaulted into fourth place, the loss dropped the Crimson back into the Ivy League cellar, which they had temporarily vacated last week.

The lead changed hands numerous times until the Crimson rallied from a 33-27 deficit to take a 41-38 half-time margin.

After falling behind with 15:30 left in the game, the Crimson regained the lead, 62-60, with 8:55 to go, on Joe Deerings's set shot. Brown opened another six point advantage at 69-64 before a Crimson rally topped by Lynch's foul tied the score for the final time at 2:20.

The Bruins' Forrest Broman then hit a long jump shot to put his team ahead with 1:35 to go in the game. Cutting across the foul circle, Gary Borchard charged into Dave Remington, and the guard's one shot increased the margin to three points.

Regaining possession, the Crimson worked the ball until Joe Deering drove in from the right--and kicked the ball out of bounds. Bill Danner rebounded a missed Bruin foul shot, though, and Harvard was still in the game with 58 seconds left.

They were still in the game, that is, until a pass under the basket went astray, and Brown took the ball and the ball game. Borchard got the final two Crimson points after Gene Barth's two fouls had made the score 74-69.

The crisp ball-handling, accurate shooting, and solid defensive rebounding that had marked recent Crimson victories were again evident until the final two minutes--but these two minutes were enough to send Harvard to its sixth loss in nine Ivy games.

Lynch's 18 points, a personal season high, led the scorers. Borchard finished with 16, Deering 13, and Kelley 12. Captain Broman of the Bruins was the star of the evening with a 29 point total.

The Crimson's next outing is against Princeton on Friday.