Sextet Gets Scare, Rallies for 2-1 Win

One of the best Crimson teams in years and the second-ranked sextet in the East was scared for three periods of play Saturday night before king out a 2-1 victory over Cornell, the Ivy League cellar-dweller and a team that has lost all of its 26 Ivy games since joining the League in 1958.

Dave Morse slipped in the winning goal at 8:46 of the final period after the Crimson rallied back from an unexpected one-goal deficit. The Big Red pressed for a score early in the game and went ahead at 12 minutes of the opener. The Crimson tied it up 20 minutes later, went ahead on Morse's tally, and held on as Cornell staged a feverish attempt to send the contest into sudden-death overtime.

The Crimson started out its first game since Jan. 16 with sloppy stick-handling, careless passing in front of its own cage, and missed opportunities in close, but the visiting Ithacans had trouble putting together an offensive attack to take advantage of the varsity's play.

At 12:00, center Bob Myers flipped the puck off the boards behind the cage to teammate Morgan Holmes. Holmes, from ten feet, fired through Crimson defenseman Dave Grannis and diagonally into the nets. Varetty goalie Gedirey Wood, who was screened by Grannis and never saw the shot, was invincible for the rest of the evening.

After 20 minutes of near-misses, the varsity tied the count on a goal by Harry Howell, who shared the spotlight of the night with Wood.

Wood first contributed a great save that kept the Crimson in the game. Howell eventually picked up the puck in his own end and started to race the length of the rink. At the blue line Howell dropped a short pass to himself past Cornell's Jim Fullerton, son of Brown's hockey coach, and rushed in all alone on Kennedy and scored from about ten feet.

Gealie Puts Up Fight

The varsity proceeded to control the puck during the early minutes of the last period but failed to best Kennedy in the goal. After eight minutes, however, How ell bulleted a hard slap shot for the point. The shot was aimed straight at Kennedy, who was ready to field it in self-defense; Morse deflected the puck into the unguarded part of the goal, and Kennedy didn't have a chance.

The victory, the sextet's eighth straight, was witnessed in the frigid Watson Rink by a sparse crowd. The snow storm kept down attendance but did not hall the Cornell hockey team from reaching Cambridge, although the Big Red swimmers did not quite make it. The sextet came from Williamstown Friday night by bus and was able to return to upstate New York yesterday afternoon