Monro Terms Yard Changes Unlikely Now

By Stephen F. Jencks

No major change in freshmen residential or advising arrangements is likely next year, Dean Monro has indicated. Although he expressed interest in the pilot project proposed by Benjamin W. Labaree. Senior Tutor of Winthrop House, Monro expressed doubt that action would be taken next Fall.

Labaree last spring suggested revising freshman advising by creating units with about 250 students each and putting a "senior tutor" in charge of the advising system in each unit. In addition, he proposed that GSAS students should be used more extensively for advising and proctoring and that common rooms should be installed in each of the dormitory groups.

Pilot Program

Labaree recently put forth a pilot program for next fall involving the Penny-packer-Hurlbut-Greenough group of dorms. He and Monro agreed that the pilot experiment would probably reveal no significant new information, but both felt it might be valuable in exposing the College to the new system and creating interest in it.

Monro pointed out that there is no immediate need for action: "We already have a perfectly adequate Freshman year." There is no question, he said, that the Labaree proposal would improve Freshman advising: the uncertainty is whether the improvement would be worth the cost. Rough estimates have put the cost of common rooms and tutors' suites at about a quarter million, with about $10,000 a year added cost for the salaries of the senior tutors.