Council Plans Debate Union For Next Fall

Union to Be Forum for Student Opinion

By Steven V. Roberts

The Student Council is planning a social union to provide a forum for student debate on current public issues. union, to be functioning by the term, will answer the desire of students for political debate out the framework of partisan organization said Roger M. Leed '62, chairman Council's Extracurricular Affairs committee.

the present system, Leed said, Democrats talk only to Democrats, and talk only to Republicans," a minimum of discussion between factions.

union, however, would be an organization, divided along rather than political lines. and conservative parties would topics proposed by a Board of . The board will consist of the leaders of the two parties, a advisor, and a representative of Council. After discussion members would vote on the question proposed.

Students who have an antipathy for political organizations and their machinations, will, for the first have an opportunity to participate political activity, Leed noted.

idea for the political union was by those now existing at England, and Princeton. Leaders student groups on campus will be to an organization meeting within , Leed said. Present plans call union to begin operations early in Term, and continue on a basis.

purpose of the organization will not to provide a public forum for political opinion, but also to a discussion of real issues the campus. Members will know topic before the meeting, and will to come to the discussion .

the union will give students in thinking through complex and coming to a decision, since will be a vote taken at the of each session.

questions discussed at the meetings be on any topic, Leed said, but will be mostly of a political nature. humorous topic might also .