Seven Crimson Athletic Squads Elect Captains, Managers for '62

Hoopsters Pick Borchard

Seven winter teams yesterday elected captains for next year.

The basketball team chose Gary C. Borchard '62 as captain for the '61-62 season. Borchard, a second team all-Ivy choice last year, was among the leading scorers in the Ivy League. He will lead a squad that lost only one letterman from this year's squad, captain Robert S. Bowditch, Jr., '61. The team elected Frederick J. Keating '63, of Dunster House and Hartford, Connecticut, the most improved player. Keating played effectively in the final three weeks of the season to merit the distinction.

The fencing team picked James R. Pusey '62 of Quincy House and Cambridge to captain them next year. Pusey was third saber man this year, and will probably move to first position.

Tabbed as captain by the hockey team was David C. Grannis III '62, of Winthrop House and South St. Paul, Minnesota. Grannis, a defenseman, plays a very heady game, and is not afraid to concentrate on offense, relying on his great speed to get him back to cover the goal.

Rifle Team Choses Miller

The varsity Rifle team elected Daniel Miller '62 of Leverett House and Valley Stream, Long Island, N. Y., captain for the '61-'62 season. Also chosen were Robert Mitchell '62 of Quincy House as team manager and Richard Hoefer '63 of Winthrop House as Rifle Club President. James Van Zee '63 was selected captain of the freshman rifle team, and James Andrews '63 was elected manager.

Rufus M. Perkins '62 of Leverett House and Westwood, Mass., was picked to head the skiing team next year. He replaces John C. Holden '60/61.

The squash team selected a member of the class of '63 to captain them for the '61-'62 season. Roger C. Weigand '63 of Quincy House and Pittsburgh, Pa., will thus be captain of the team in his junior year. Weigand played number four this year, but may well move to number two, since seniors who were ahead of him will have graduated. Although seniors usually captain varsity squads, the squash team had difficulty following tradition this year, since the sophomore class has practically monopolized the places on the team. The lone junior played at the number nine slot this year.

The swimming team also elected a captain yesterday, picking Robert E. Kaufmann '62, of Winthrop House and Flourstown, Pa., a recent breaker of the Harvard 200 yard medley record. Kaufmann is regarded as one of the best in the East in the freestyle, backstroke, and medley.