King Foresees Increases In Harvard Fulbright Grants

The College will have between 18 and 20 Fulbright Scholarship winners this year Richard G. King, director of the Office for Graduate and Career Plans said yesterday. Thirty-four students have been nominated by the Institute of International Education. Countries to which the students applied must now give final approval of the nominees.

Last year the College received twelve scholarships, a poor showing compared to other years. The concentration of applications to Great Britain, France, and West Germany, was the reason for the low total, King stated. Only six applicants were accepted by Britain, one by France and none by West Germany last year.

Fearing the establishment of a quota system for colleges, representatives of the University met with David Wodlinger, Director of U.S. Student Programs in the Institute for International Education. Wodlinger assured the officials that no such quota was in effect and revealed that the unusually high number of rejections indicated the poor language backgrounds of many of the applicants.

King cited a sudden shift in the awarding of Fulbrights to graduate students as an important factor in last year's decline. In addition, Harvard applicants failed to "spread themselves" and concentdated on the more popular nations, King noted.

Applications for the smaller nations have a greater chance for success, he said. This year the six students who selected Italy, Japan, New Zealand, and Peru were all successful.

King termed the number of students nominated this year "excellent." Four of 16 applying seniors were nominated for France, and 3 of 13 for West Germany.