Yale Tennis Captain Dies In Auto Mishap in South

The Yale University community was reported "shocked" yesterday upon hearing of the death of its varsity tennis captain in an automobile accident Friday night. Captain Theodore C. Joyner was killed and two other leading Yale tennis players were seriously injured when their car plunged over an embankment in Fayetteville, N.C.

The trio was given special permission by the Athletic Department and the University to leave early for the annual spring tour through the South, which begins officially Thursday at the University of Miami. No reason for the early permission was given.

Saturday, the squad voted to continue its spring training trip and will leave by plane or train tomorrow, when Yale begins its spring vacation.

Sidney B. Wood 3rd, a junior from Chestnut Hill and son of the one-time Davis Cup player and Wimbledon champion, was injured when the students compact station wagon jumped over an embankment and crashed into a pavement below. He was listed as "out of danger" at Fayetteville, but will be hospitalized for 12 weeks.

Also injured was junior Stewart B. Ludlum, Jr., a tennis letterman and guard on the Eli basketball team.

Coach John Skillman called a meeting of the team Saturday afternoon and asked the players whether they wanted to continue the planned Southern trip.

Joyner was sixth man on the Yale team that last year stretched its winning streak to 27 matches and won the Ivy and Big Three titles. Skillman had high hopes for another undefeated season this spring.