Crimson Takes Eighth In Fencing Contest; N.Y.U. Wins Title

The Harvard fencing team concluded it's season Saturday on a good note, finishing in eighth place in the National Inter-collegiates at Princeton.

A three-man team of Larry Johnson in foil, Lajos Heder in sabre, and Allan Gardner in epee represented the Crimson in the 31-team tournament. Gardner turned in the outstanding individual performance, atoning for an off-day at the easterns the week before by taking third place in the epee. Gardner finished behind Halpern of N.Y.U. and Anger of Princeton, turning in a 23-7 record for the two days.

Heder finished tenth in the sabre with 16-11 record, and Johonson, still recovering from a leg injury, took 15th in the foil with a creditable 16-13 performance.

N.Y.U. took first place in all three categories and won the team title with an astounding record of 79 wins out of bouts. Foil man Herb Cohen, in an outstanding display of endurance, ability, and consistency, lost only one bout in the two-day marathon. The top eight teams finished as follows: N.Y.U., Princeton, Columbia, Yale, Wayne State, Navy, Ohio State, and Harvard.