Victory at Bay

Congressman Walter observes two rules of political behavior which the late Senator McCarthy did not: he smiles, and he keeps the hearings of his committee off nationwide television hookups. Perhaps these policies account for his success. Whatever the cause, the list of his victories in the 87th Congress is frighteningly impressive.

Walter's latest success came last week. With only two members objecting (Reps. Lindsay and Ryan, both of Manhattan), the House passed a bill of dubious constitutionality and unsavory implications. The bill, written by Walter, would require the dismissal of all longshoremen and seamen who refuse to answer questions before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

The measure is objectionable on several counts. It transforms into law the inference that use of the Fifth Amendment is proof of guilt. It punishes non-government employees for using the constitutional guarantees which are their right. It contains unmistakable overtones of personal vengeance (The International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Association is headed by Harry Bridges, whom Chairman Walter has denounced publicly but has been unable to touch). It resuscitates, in short, the spirit of McCarthyism.

For all of these reasons the Walter bill will probably never be approved by the Senate, signed by the President, or sanctioned by the Supreme Court. But its overwhelming endorsement by the House is still disturbing as an indication of Congressional irresponsibility.

It seems, as one British observer has remarked, that the members of the House of Representatives "would rather not be right than be ex-Congressmen." It seems that all but two of the faint-hearted men of the lower chamber are infinitely anxious not to oppose the colorless but powerful man who has made himself Poobah of American patriotism.